Thursday, September 02, 2010

A Special Breakfast

Despite the fact that Luis's fall school has not yet started (that happens next week), we still seem to have slightly hectic mornings. Between making coffee for the grown ups, breakfast for everyone and lunch for Diego all before 8:00a, I find myself a little tired when Diego walks out the door for work.


This morning was no exception, except that I hadn't gotten around to my own breakfast yet. And I was hungry! The moment that the door closed behind Diego, Luis turns to me and invites me to play Super Heroes. I declined. Then he invited me to do a puzzle ("Because you REALLY like to do puzzles, right Mommy?"). I declined.

Luis: Well then, who is going to play with me?

Me: Luis, I will play with you in a bit, but right now I'm going to have breakfast. This morning I've made Daddy breakfast, I've made you breakfast, I've given Alejo TWO breakfasts, and I've made Daddy's lunch. Who is the only person who hasn't had breakfast yet?

Luis: You?

Me: That's right. So before I do anything else for anybody else, I am going to have my breakfast and do my puzzle (really, two puzzles - crossword and sudoku).

Luis: What are you going to have for breakfast?

Me: Apple with peanut butter.

Luis (running into the kitchen): Mommy - tell me where you keep the apples so I can get it for YOU.

His sweet, sweet offer just about took my breath away, and made me tear up a bit. Luis is certainly a loving, affectionate child, but this was the first time I'd seen him extrapolate on his own to do something for someone else.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is super super sweet. AWWWW. like we say around here... "cosiiito!"

Anonymous said...

I love it... I love it when they realize they can be helpful!! -Sarah