Saturday, November 13, 2010

M-U-D

This afternoon, after Kristin left, Luis asked if he could play outside. I said, "Sure". He asked if he could play with the water hose. I said, "Sure". He asked if he could build a rain forest. I said, "Sure". I was tired. I was very tired. The idea of Luis entertaining himself was a very pleasing idea. Even more so because Alejo, who was desperately tired, would not go to sleep and was, instead, screaming his head off in his bed.

I had no idea how much mud he was going to make, or that he would want to submerge as much of himself as possible in it.

I reminded myself that ALL of Luis's clothes are machine washable (and that I buy Oxyclean at Costco, in 10-lb boxes), for exactly this reason.

But mostly I reminded myself that few things make me happier than when Luis is this happy.

And boy was he happy. (But Alejo was still screaming, still tired.)

While he was self-contained in the mud, I set some chicken to thaw in water in the sink (it was 5p, and I suddenly realized I had no idea what was for dinner). I went back out to check on Luis. Took some pictures. Listened to how, exactly, it is that you build a rain forest. Assured Luis that the clothes could be washed. Listened to Alejo crying on the monitor. Ran back inside to get Luis a drink.

Annnnnnnnd realized that I had left the water running in the sink. And the stopper in. There was water everywhere. On the counter, on the floor, in the drawers, on the shelves, in the microwave, in the dishes in the drawers. My heart stopped at the sight of all of that water.

And Alejo was still screaming. As I was standing in the kitchen with very wet feet, Luis decided that he needed to come in to get that drink. Covered in mud. DRIPPING mud. Suddenly, it was not just Alejo who was screaming.

I'm not sure what happened after that, as it was literally a blur. But I mopped up all of the water (more than 5 gallons!) from the floor and the shelves and the drawers (and the microwave!). I got Luis's muddy clothes off and in to soak in the laundry room - being very careful to turn of the water when the sink was not quite half full. I got the mud scrubbed out of Luis's hair and between his toes and in his ears.

And eventually, Alejo fell asleep.

No comments: