Monday, November 05, 2007

Our Weekend in Goa - The Wedding



Frans, rode this elephant to the ceremony (really, just on the hotel grounds). He was surrounded by all of his friends and family and a very loud, 10-person, mostly-percussion band who danced around him. This procession was not very long - less than 1/2 a mile - but took approximately one hour. By the time we got to the beach, everyone was so hot and sweat-soaked that there wasn't much dancing going on anymore.

Then, Surbhi and her girl-peeps arrived - Surbhi under this flower-covered awning that was supported by her peeps. They stood together on a small stage and ... I don't know what happened next. I had to head back to our hotel room to feed and nurse Luis (he sometimes won't eat for new people, which turned out to be the case that night). By the time I got back, the ceremony was over and people had adjourned to the tables for dinner.


The (reception) band opened up with "Take Me Home, Country Road" - a bit of a shock to me. I didn't imagine that being a real sing-a-long song in India. But Bhavna assured me it was quite popular The band played for another 2 hours, the bar was open and appetizers were passed. The bride & groom were off changing out of their "formal wedding" clothes, into their "get down and boogie" clothes. But by 9:15, I was too tired and too hot and too sweaty to last any longer. And to be honest, the idea of another Indian food buffet didn't do much to keep me there. I went back up to our hotel room to relieve the babysitter. Diego stayed until almost 1a, when the band stopped, the bar closed and the party moved to the hotel night club. Rumor has it that the drinking and dancing continued until about 3a.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

not sure if I'm the only one not seeing the pictures on the last 2 posts..

Anonymous said...

Nope... No pictures for these 2 or beach post.. I do see the beautiful picture of your sari!! Must have been quite the experience!