Friday, October 30, 2009

Halloween Eve

Tomorrow is Halloween. And to be honest, it makes me a bit nervous. As far back as I can remember, Halloween has been an anxiety-ridden day for me. Except the one year I went as a Japanese Girl in a kimono (oh how I wish that my mom had a blog where I could link back to a picture of that), I never have a good idea for a costume (and it probably wasn't even my idea, I think I was 6). And on a more basic level, I have never actually looked forward to dressing up. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-Halloween. I buy & carve pumpkins every year and give out candy (good candy!). Our across-the-street neighbors in Virgina were VERY in to Halloween, and I always enjoyed watching Diane put her yard together every year. But me, I'm just no so into it.


And then came Luis.

While I'm still not that into Halloween, I would love for Luis to develop Diego's love for the holiday. Diego really enjoys dressing up and going to costume parties. He likes brainstorming good costumes - coming up with something clever, original. I really do want that for Luis, so I vowed to put my best Halloween foot forward with him. Luis's first Halloween was in Mumbai and we didn't actually do anything for it. Last year, we were actually visiting Dallas on Halloween, so I dressed Luis up the night before and we went car trick-or-treating to a few friends house.

This year was going to be our first "normal" Halloween year where Luis could pick a costume (or at least have a vote), and walk himself to our friends house to trick-or-treat. All month at school, they've been making paper plate jack-o-lanterns, bats made from hand prints, a pumpkin wind sock (made out of construction paper - better for hanging on the door) and other Halloween-themed crafts. None the less, I was a little surprised when Luis came home, three weeks ago, and announced that he was going to be a Box for Halloween. When I asked him what kind of box, he held up his hands and said, "I don't know".

Then two weeks ago, he came home from school and said, "I'm going to be a BOX for Halloween." When questioned further about the costume, he again held up his hands in a shrug and this time said, "I don't know that part yet." Was he waiting for divine intervention? A sign from the pumpkin-gods?

I didn't start on the costume because, quite frankly, I was sure he'd change his mind. But he didn't. This week, he changed it up slightly saying that he wanted to be a Scary Box - though he still had no details on exactly what that meant.

I am proud for Luis for coming up with his own - rather original - idea. I doubt he gleaned this costume idea off any of his friends at school. I am impressed that after three weeks, and countless conversations about Halloween, he still wants to be a box. I'm absolutely terrified that once we get out to trick-or-treat, and see all those store bought Batman and Princess costumes, the intricate face painting or anyone dressed as a fireman that Luis will be overcome with Costume Envy.

And it will be my job to fix it.

What to do? I don't really want to spend a lot of energy (or money) on a "back up" costume which would have no chance of being worn again. But more importantly, I don't want to doubt Luis. And then, I don't want to watch Luis's love for his thought-up-himself costume melt down his face with hot tears because he thinks someone else's costume is better.

On Thursday, I borrowed a Fireman's hat from one of the teachers at school, with which we can fashion a Fireman Sam costume if we need to. Today, Luis and I made the "frame" of the box costume - cutting out holes for his head & arms, and opening up most of the bottom so he can walk. Undecorated, Luis LOVED LOVED LOVED the box. He put it on about 15 times before I had to put it up out of reach (it is the perfect sized box and the only one we have in that size). Then tonight, Diego creatively designed the "scary" part for the Scary Box after consulting with Luis, who suggesting using a seen from his Olivia book. (I'm sure he'll love that part!)

All that's left to do is wait and see how it unfolds. I really, really, really hope it goes well - that Luis loves his Scary Box and that the people we see out tomorrow value the creativity that went into it. Stay tuned to see how it goes.

3 comments:

ET said...

I love the idea of a scary box! Anything that is somewhat original or different rates in my book. As for the rest...call me "boo-humbug" but I don't get the attraction in putting your child in a store-bought pre-fabricated plastic/teflon ensemble and parading them around with all the others in similar costumes. Boring! Can't wait to see Luis' pictures!

Shawn and Brittany said...

I can't wait to see pictures of this!

todd said...

Love your Halloween posts -- nice job working with Luis's costume idea. And I *love* the idea of taking an ordinary item and turning it into a "scary ___". Next year: scary lamp.