Tuesday, January 11, 2011

An Afternoon with an Old Friend

Luis has loved playing "Water Games" for almost as long as I can remember. Outside, it involves the hose and/or the watering can. Inside, it means playing at the kitchen sink. We haven't played in a long time, mostly because I tired of mopping up the water from the far reaches of the counter and from all over the floor. I told Luis "no" so many times, that he finally stopped asking. Until this afternoon. I'm not sure what made him think of it, and I'm not sure why I said yes. Probably had a lot to do with the fact that Alejo was sleeping and I needed a good 30-minutes to prep for dinner.


After one gentle reminder about not pouring water on the counter, Luis did a surprisingly good job of keeping the water mostly in the sink. In the first 5 minutes, he wanted to show me 15 different things. I explained that the main reason I agreed to let him play in the sink was so that I could get my own work done, logic I have used (unsuccessfully) on him in the past. Except this time it worked. He then played contentedly for more than 30 minutes (with minimal splashing).

As a VERY BIG added bonus, when he was done he asked (begged, practically) if he could clean the kitchen sink for me. You bet!


No comments: