Monday, July 13, 2009

If you can't take the heat, stay out of the tent

I am beginning to wonder if a person's internal thermometer isn't something they are born with. Luis's interest in playing outside is completely independent of what the temperature is like. And when it's extreme (very hot or very cold), he's usually happy to keep playing until his face is the color of a tomato or his fingers fall off from frostbite.


Yesterday, it was 102 degrees in the afternoon. That's not what it felt like, that was the actual temperature. It felt hotter. Occasionally there would be a breeze, which made it tolerable to be outside.

Luis wanted to play outside. I was about to start making dinner. Diego wanted to air out our tent (which hasn't been used for camping in Luis's lifetime, though probably a few years more than his lifetime). The perfect solution was for Diego and Luis to go outside and pitch the tent (and for me to stay close to the air conditioning vent).


Once the tent was pitched, though, Luis came and got me so he could show it to me. Then, he wanted me to get inside with him (and Ashley, too). I obliged. (Diego, politely declined.) And I lasted approximately 4 1/2 minutes before heat stroke set in. Luis stayed in about 5 more minutes. When he finally got out he said, "Mommy, the tent makes me verrrrrrrry sweaty."

No comments: