Thursday, July 30, 2009

Mr. Chatty

At some point, when I wasn't looking, Luis's vocabulary expanded exponentially. Not only is he using more words, he's building more complex sentences.


In Mr. Kyle's pool: Mommy, my cup is floating away and I need to swim after it.

Coming home from the store: When there are lots of cars, that's called traffic and you have to be careful. That's true.

About the construction in our house: The kitchen floor is missing. But the men (the framers) are there (at the house) and they have lots of work to do. They are good workers.

Then there are the funny things he says-
Talking to Todd, with some coins in his hand: I've got the money AND the honey.

He's also starting to make connections on his own. The other day, he noticed a man going into Kyle's backyard. I asked something about the Pool Man. Luis: Mommy, can I go into Mr. Kyle's back yard to see what the Pool Man is doing?. In the past, despite being pretty sure who the guy was, there would have been some back and forth to make sure (Mommy - who is that? It's the Pool Man. Is that the Pool Man? Yes.).

Recently, Luis has added several affirmatives to his regular vocabulary, that's true, absolutely, sure, and Yeah- let's do that. I like to hear so many agreeable things coming out of his mouth. But it also makes me feel good: while it feels like I say a whole lot of 'No', clearly I am saying enough Yeses that they are sticking in his vocabulary.

No comments: