Monday, March 05, 2007

Just You Wait...

"They grow up so fast." "Treasure every moment because they'll be grown before you know it." "You'll blink, and the next thing you know, he'll be a teenager." Everyone who has children has told me to really appreciate the time I have with Luis and to enjoy each of his stages. Certainly, I had no reason to doubt these people with first-hand child experience. But I somehow didn't realize that at only 10 weeks, I'd already see the wisdom in their words!!

Let me back up a bit. Yes, Luis has grown ~ 3" since birth and has gained 4lbs, 7 oz. He has good neck & head control. He smiles and coos and almost giggles. He watches people intently and likes to grab onto stuff. Yes, he has changed and gown in lots of ways in the last 10 weeks. I realize this. But this afternoon, when I started a storage bin of clothes that Luis has ALREADY outgrown, well, it kinda took my breath away. Some of these sleeper outfits were a little room when he started wearing them.


This afternoon, I was reading about weight gain. The apparent rule of thumb is that Luis should double his birth weight between 4-5 months, and triple his birth weight by a year. Yawza! He's half-way to the first milestone.


Of course, when I think about how this shocks me - me who spends the most time with him - I wonder how it will be for Diego when he comes home on Friday. This trip ended up being almost exactly four weeks. Luis was only 7 weeks when he left. I think Diego will hardly recognize him.
This is a photo taken of Luis the day Diego left. Big changes for this guy...


No comments: