Wednesday, May 23, 2007

DOC Band (i.e. the Helmut)


Monday afternoon, we picked up the DOC Band for Luis (the helmut to treat his flat-headed-ness). He was a great sport about getting the DOC Band and Diego & I are getting used to his new look.

When they first put it on, the front came down over his eye brows, which made him look very cross and mean (a look that he has rarely, if ever, achieved). They made some adjustments and now he looks a little more like his old cheerful self. Although, sometimes the helmut pinches the skin a bit between the eyes, giving him a definite "evil eye".

I was relieved at what little fuss Luis made over the DOC Band. He played in it. He snuggled in it. He ate in it. But, as we discovered at bedtime, Luis had made up his mind to not sleep in it. Monday night was a long, long night. Diego and I got less sleep that night than we did any of the nights of Luis's first week of life. Luis cried a horrible, gut-wrenching cry most of the night and was completely inconsolable. It was so tough. And I can't speak for Diego, but I was feeling self conscious that my in-laws were trying to sleep in the next room (though, for their part, they could not have been more understanding or sympathetic). At 3:30, I gave up the fight, and took the DOC Band off. Luis fell almost instantly asleep.

Since then, life with the DOC Band has gotten better. Luis wore the band all night last night and stayed in his crib. I wish I could say that he slept the whole night... Maybe tonight?
I like this picture because Luis looks so peaceful and cute. But it is a bit misleading because it insinuates that he's sleeping well in the DOC band. This pic was taken immediately after our appointment, on the way home. Luis was exhausted.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hola Mami, Papi!!!

Espero que le den muchos abrazos a Luisito de mi parte!!!

Besos a todos tambien :D