Saturday, July 28, 2007

Farewell, Muffles

Today, my friend Nick (the garage contractor) came over to help with a few last repairs around the house before the renters arrive. A big, big thanks to Nick. But also, he took Muffles with him when he left. He has agreed to adopt Muffles and give her a good and loving home in Culpepper, VA (about an hour west of Falls Church).

It's been almost 5 years since Muffles adopted us. When she first started coming around, she wouldn't let any of us near her - much less pet her. Over the years she has become extremely affectionate. Early this morning, she snuggled up with me in the bed and we both snoozed for about an hour.

Though Muffles can be sweet and loving and charming, she is also a very skilled hunter. In the last five years, she has brought us (as trophies) mice, rats, voles, moles, chipmunks, baby squirrels, rabbits, birds (of multiple varieties), and frogs (some alive, some dead, some whole, some in parts). That part I won't miss so much. But I will miss the way you could hear her running home - from a block or more away - when we'd return from vacation. I'll miss her jumping up on my lap while I watched TV or a movie. I'll miss how you could hear her purring from across the house. I'll miss how sweet and gentle she was with Luis - even when he would pull fist-fulls of hair out of her back side.

Diego and I were not looking for a cat when Muffles showed up. But we are both sad to see her go. She is one of the greatest pets we've known. And we miss her already.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Luis Hernán Rincón Rincón said...

Muffles: adopt your new home and friends. You know how to accomplish that process.
Mary: do not cry for Muffles. She will be in one more fo her seven lives when you see her next time. Tou have loved her so much taht you have to be happy any way even more since you know she is in friendly hands and in open fields.