Friday, July 06, 2007

On The Road Again

Sorry, no pictures this time. But I do want to post a quick update, since it's been more than a week. Saturday, Luis and I joined Dodie, Alison, Maggie, Franklin & Solomon in their minivan and hit the road. We drove to Durham and had a great visit with my cousin Will and his family as well as Abby Norris and her family. Somebody described the scene as "dozens of cousins". Not quite 12, but there were 7 under 7!

We rolled into Rock Hill late Saturday night. Sunday was a big McDow lunch at my uncle Charlie's house (thanks for hosting!) that included most of my McDow family (5 out of 6 aunts and uncles, 4 out of 7 cousins and 6 out of 10 of my cousin's children). For me of special note on Sunday was how much Luis enjoyed chilling in the baby pool for almost an hour.

Rock Hill involved a lot of relaxing and playing - a real treat for me (especially because there was no packing to do!!). Monday night we went for ice cream to the Springdale Superette - a legendary ice cream place that sold the largest single-scoop of ice cream ever. Much to our disappointment, it no longer sells ice cream. A piece of my childhood gone!

Tuesday morning, we all headed out for Atlanta to visit with Randolph & Lauren and Grandfather. All of us traveling by van stayed at my grandparent's lake house north west of Atlanta. It was wonderfully not-too-hot. Luis took a couple of dips in the lake and seemed to really enjoy it. My aunt Clare came home early from a trip to spend time with us up at the lake last night and today. My (98 year old) Grandfather came up today for a visit. It was so wonderful to have him there because it really isn't the same without him.

Tonight we are having a birthday dinner for Mom at Randolph's house - with Dodie, Randolph and me - and our families (minus Diego who is in Mumbai). It may be the last time we're all together like this for more than a year!!

Tomorrow, Luis and I fly home. Waiting for us will be Diego's sister Jules. She has not yet met Luis - so that will be great. I'm also looking forward to the help. Especially Tuesday and Wednesday when the movers are here!!

Luis has had a great week. He is in motion almost all of the time. He can almost push up from his belly to a sitting position. He continues to try to crawl (but continues to be unsuccessful). He tried apple on Wednesday. Not exactly a big fan, but I plan to try it again tonight. Luis has really rolled with the punches these last 7 days - far from home, far from his bouncy chair and johnnny jumper and exersaucer, and far from his daily routine. But he continues to smile his big smile and delight all that he meets.

I'm sorry that there are not any pictures with this post. But don't worry. My camera has taken approximately 300 pictures in the last week. So check back early next week for a plethora of pictures of us and all we've seen and done on this big adventure.

No comments: