Saturday, August 30, 2008

Monkey Boy!

About two weeks ago, we cut out the morning nap. In general, it's going well (though some days it's a big push to make it to nap time). However, on Thursday, Luis clearly needed a morning nap. So he got one. When it was time for afternoon nap, Luis was willing to rest, but not to sleep. Mom (who was over visiting) and I had fun listening to him play and chat and giggle through the monitor. After about an hour, he went quiet. Ahhhh, I thought. Sleep. About 20 minutes later, the monitor started to make the noise indicating that the receiver is either out of battery or out of range. It hadn't moved and it was plugged in. I went up and gave a listen at Luis's room. Silence. I wasn't sure what happened, but it seemed Luis was sleeping.

Ten minutes later, I heard some unusual noises in Luis's room. I went up to see what was going on. Luis was standing in the corner of his room, holding the monitor!!

I'm not entirely surprised that Luis figured out how to get out of his crib. But I'm not pleased he figured it out so soon; he's only 20 months. I don't want to transition him to a bed just yet, but haven't quite figured out how to keep him in the crib. He uses the built in book shelves to help him descend. Our first plan is turn the crib 90-degrees, so that if he wants to go over the side, he has to commit to dropping all the way down. If that doesn't work, I'm not sure what we'll do.

Stay tuned to find out...

No comments: