Friday, August 08, 2008

Still No Pics... And Still Loving the House

It's official - everything that we own is in our house! Nothing is left in storage, nothing with the movers and (almost) nothing left at Sarah's or Mom's house. I'd love to be able to say it's all put away in a neat and organized fashion, but that's just not true. We still have boxes to unpack and some boxes that will go straight into storage. I'm not interested in unpacking my china knowing that I might be packing it up again in the near future...

The movers came Tuesday to deliver our stuff from India. The crew was great. They arrived at 8a, had the truck empty by 9a, and everything unpacked and all the trash/boxes/packing materials out of the house by 11:30. Then, our storage pods were delivered on Thursday morning. Diego busted his tail and had them both empty by about 5:30p. I kinda wish the mover-crew would come back to unpack it all.

Diego and I worked several days getting the house organized before bringing Luis over (from Mom's house in Annapolis). We got the crib assembled and Luis's toys unpacked. We got most of the furniture arranged (though I'm sure lots of pieces will get rearranged). All of the work felt a bit like we were putting toys together to surprise Luis on Christmas morning. And it paid off. We brought Luis over on Wednesday evening. Though he clearly didn't remember the house, his eyes lit up at seeing all of our stuff from Mumbai - the couches, his bed, our divan, his toys, etc. Diego and I loved watching him take it all in.

Surprisingly, Ashley seems to be the most relieved to be home. We had an incident in Rock Hill where we left Ashley with Clarkson & MA for about an hour the day we left. We'd already packed the car up and I didn't want Ashley to freak out about being left behind. Well, she slipped out the back door and ran away. I started walking up and down the street calling her name. Thomas and Lucy got in the car and drove towards their house looking for her. And they found her - sitting on the porch at Thomas's house!! Granted, it's only about a mile, but I still found it remarkable that she knew how to get back there. I hadn't realized how tough all the travelling this summer had been on her until we got here and I saw how relaxed and playful she was. It's a relief to see.

Really, I think we're all pleased (and relieved) to be home. The weather is fabulous - today we have the windows open and are enjoying a cool breeze. As soon as Luis wakes up, I think we'll head outside to play in the grass...

1 comment:

mbdoctor said...

yay! I'm so happy to read that you're finally back in your house, with all your stuff! Enjoy the beautiful day and wait until it rains to post some pictures :)
love, marybeth