Monday, May 11, 2009

Tutor Girl & Tutor Girl's Mom

I started tutoring high school math in Falls Church in 2003.  In 2007, just after Luis was born, I started tutoring Malvika - a freshman at the local high school.  At this point, we knew that we were heading to Mumbai over the summer, so I could not tutor her for her sophomore year.  It turned out to be a great coincidence that Lopa, Malvika's Mom had grown up in Bombay and had recently spent 2 years there with her family.  Lopa and I emailed while I was in Bombay (mostly her encouraging me to try new foods and to shop at the market and to explore the city) and really developed our own friendship.  When we were back in Virginia, I started tutoring Malvika again, for her junior year.  Malvika also baby sat for us on a number of occassions.  Lopa, Luis, and I would meet for lunch regularly.  Luis adored both Malvika and Lopa.  Moving to Texas did not stop our tutoring sessions.  Malvika and I still meet once or twice a week on-line for tutoring.


After lunch on Thursday (4/30), Luis and I went to spend the afternoon with Lopa and Malvika.  We both had a wonderful time relaxing (Luis took a 2 hour nap there) and catching up.  We, of course, enjoyed a nice cup of tea and Lopa made us a delicious dinner.

No comments: