Tuesday, April 29, 2008

New Tricks

This morning, Diego and I were talking at the table and Luis was cruising around the room. He wandered off into the "Little Room" (the office, which leads to the balcony). He never gets into any trouble in this room, so we give him the space to explore. After a few quiet minutes, I walk over to check out what he's doing. I was a bit shocked when I found him.
He climbed up there all by himself. To see how he did it, I set him on the floor. Sure enough, he scrambled right back up. This time, he promptly tumbled out the back of the chair. (I caught him.) Life gets more interesting every day...

For afternoon snack, most days, Luis has a mushed up banana and plain yogurt. About 2 months ago, we switched from mushed up banana to sliced banana. Over the weekend, I tried holding the banana and letting him take bites. This was a big hit. Today, I let him hold the banana. Ohhh boy. It was like he'd won the lottery.
All the while, I was encouraging him to say "nana" for banana (three syllables seemed like too much to ask for). And he did! It might be his first real word. Though, can "nana" count as a Real Word if it's not really a real word?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

it counts!
:D

Anonymous said...

Absolutely... As long as you know what it means, it's a word!! In our house, "oxs" is socks and "bup" is up!

Luis Hernán Rincón Rincón said...

Before the words were the actions. Then the sounds. And "pa" and "ma" also count as words in Spanish since them convey the intended meaning!