Sunday, May 18, 2008

Moving Day - Part 1

Sorry, but no pictures this time. Today (it's Monday morning here) is moving day. The packers arrive at 9:30 to pack up our sea freight, which is mostly stacked up in neat piles around our living room. The air freight will get packed tomorrow. I am very nervous that they'll be a mix-up in which items are going air freight (and will arrive at Mom's house in about a week), which items Diego and I are carrying with us, and which items are going sea freight (which arrive in DC in about 10 weeks). My root of my concern is that even though our sea freight is going to DC, there is a chance that it will simply be lifted off one ship and put on another - IF we end up in another over-seas assignment. Not knowing when or where I'll open my sea freight boxes is a bit intimidating.

Ashley, who gets nervous when we pack an overnight bag won't leave my side. Luis, who hasn't seen us pack anything that he remembers, even knows that something is up. I'm not sure how he will take it this morning when we dismantle his crib... As for me, I am hanging in there. This is a stressful time for me; I don't do (the idea of) change very well. And, I don't particularly like to part with my belongings. If I had it my way EVERYTHING I own would go with me on my flight Wednesday night. Of course, I realize logistically, that doesn't work out so well.

The big question now is: Where are we going. The short-term answer is: To the US. Luis, Ashley and I will arrive in DC this Thursday. Diego will leave Mumbai on 1 June, stop in Dubai for a couple of days for a conference and arrive in the US on 4 June. We'll regroup in Annapolis for a couple of days before heading down to Melbourne, FL - where we plan to spend June & July on holiday. Diego will fly down and find us a rental house. Luis, Ashley and I will drive down, and (hopefully) visit with friends and family along the way. (For those of you not familiar with McDow road trips, "along the way" could technically mean anything east of the Rocky Mountains. In this case, it includes Richmond, Durham/Carrboro, Rock Hill and Atlanta). That's the plan at least...

1 comment:

Luis Hernán Rincón Rincón said...

Oh boy! It is taking place now! We fly fast through space and time while doing our daily routines!

Have all the luck all of you yow deserve to arrive safely in Annapolis.