Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Moving Day - Part 2

In general, things went really well yesterday. The movers got all of the sea freight - and then all of the air freight - packed up. Luis held up generally well throughout the day, but had a hard time going to sleep in his empty room. Ashley also had a hard time, and is sticking extra close to me now (except for when she's sequestered to our bedroom).
The head mover told me yesterday that we had "two pallets" of air freight, while our quote was only for one. So when I asked the pricing lady if two pallets was 2x as expensive as one pallet, she said, "Close enough." Well, one pallet of air freight is pretty damn expensive, so I started paring down. The goal was 220 kg of stuff (there is a volume limit too, but apparently we are sending all heavy stuff so we were clearly going to hit the weight limit before the volume limit). After sending my golf clubs and Diego's SCUBA gear to the sea freight pile and shift one ginormous suit case to the "luggage" pile, we were about 8kg under. But we still had to add the printer and the baby jogger to the air freight pile. So I pulled out a bin of toys and 24 mo clothes for Luis and put it in sea freight (I don't know how fast he's going to grow, or when we'll see the sea freight stuff...). Now, I was close. But looking at the pile of boxes, there was for which I couldn't remember the contents. Turns out it was a second box of SCUBA gear. A second heavy box. So that moved to sea freight. Then, the box of toys was back in. So was the printer and the baby jogger. At this point, I was at 218kg of my 220kg allowance. I am pretty pleased with myself!!
But the joy was short-lived. The move coordinator here asked if it was OK to start sending boxes down to the truck. Of course! The sooner they start (theoretically), the sooner they finish. Except. The lift is broken. Urgh! I was so angry. And it will be "two hours" until someone can come to fix it. My landlord sweetly suggested that they could start carrying the big stuff down the stairs. Down SEVEN flights of stairs. In 95+ heat. I don't envy those guys. Keep your fingers crossed that the rest of the day goes smoothly...

No comments: