Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Family Reunion - Atlanta

Last week, Luis and I flew to Atlanta to join my Whitfield/Schweickart/McDow family for some time at Lake Allatoona (though not all of these people made it this time). My grandfather joined the yacht club there in either '48 or '49 (when I asked him about it this past week, at the age of 100, he was a little fuzzy on the dates) and hosted family there until he passed on his membership to my Aunt Clare. I have lots of great memories of visiting the lake. Now, I am working on Luis's memories of visiting the lake.

While the point of the trip was family, the theme was more like No Sleep for Luis. In five days, he missed three naps and every night he was up at least an hour past bedtime. Unfortunately, because Luis is such a great sleeper, neither of us have any coping skills for when Luis is so tired. There was a moment Tuesday evening when I almost asked Mom to take us back to the airport, thinking we'd cut our trip 3 days short and catch a standby flight back to Dallas. Wednesday, our good friends Cara, Evan (3 yrs) and Grant (1 yr) Terreri came up to the lake. Luis did much better with peers to play with (and a nap). We got home Friday afternoon. Both Saturday and Sunday, Luis took a 4 hour nap.

We enjoyed swimming in the lake (which had higher water than I remember in more than a decade), playing on the playground, eating foods with zero nutritional value and reading stories. Additionally, I really enjoyed the chance to visit with my cousins, several days staying with Randolph, Lauren & Eston, and some great time with my mom.

I took my camera with me (as I always do), but managed to take just one picture the entire trip, and it was on the airplane on our way home. How ironic...

No comments: