Friday, March 07, 2008

Ashley - On the Mend (I hope)

On Sunday, Ashley seemed a bit sluggish and less interested in her food. More so on Monday. On Tuesday, she didn't eat the cookie out of her kong. This was a very, very bad sign. Wednesday morning, I had barely opened my eyes when Diego said, "Mary, Ashley's being weird." What do you mean? "She's just staring at me. Sitting here, staring at me in the bed." I knew what that meant. Luis was just waking up. I grabbed him, pushed the elevator button and got Ashley down to the grass as fast as possible. She barely made it...

A trip to the vet later, Dr. Ranjiv thought she had an irritated bowel & prescribed meds. Thursday, Ashley had a terrible case of incontinence. Terrible. (I washed 3 towels and 4 hand towels last night.) I called the vet back and he said we just wait and watch and hope she gets better. Had she been in contact with a street dog? Could she have rabies? I spent most of yesterday imagining the worst. What was wrong with Ashley? Had she picked something out from our many walks? Had she eaten something off the sidewalk? Did she have rabies?? Would she get better? Would I have to put her down. It was a very tough day.
Last night, I talked with Dr. Kate, our vet in the US. She said it sounded like a bladder infection that a simple test would determine. And if it wasn't, there a good meds for dogs with incontinence. Sigh.
Today, she looks better, has her energy back and her appetite. I took Ashley back to Dr. Ranjiv for a blood test. I'll feel better seeing that her kidney & liver functions are normal and that her white & red blood counts are OK. I won't have the results until tonight, but already I feel a bit of relief.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ashley, get better!!!