Saturday, March 08, 2008

The Kitties

Before Christmas, I notice a Momma Cat and her three little kittens hanging around the rear of our complex. The kittens were t-i-n-y, still nursing. I decided to bring the Momma Cat food each night, to help nourish her so she could help nourish her babies. Maybe I felt an extra connection to her because I was still nursing my baby. So each night, before bed, I'd bring down some left overs from dinner. It only took two trips down for the Momma Cat to be waiting for me. And when she'd see me, she'd call out MEOW. MEEEEOOOOOOOWWW. MEEOOOWWWW. Her babies would be close behind. I loved feeding them. Unfortunately, on about the 10th night, they weren't waiting for me. Nor the next night, nor the next. I didn't see them again. I was worried that something had gotten some or all of them - but preferred to think that they'd just moved on to another place.Well about 2 weeks ago, I saw two of the three kittens hanging out with the night gate guard (there is a door guard and night guard, each post has two shifts 8a-8p and 8p-8a). And in the morning, when I'd take Ashley and Luis out, the two kittens were again hanging out with the night gate guard. Sometimes I'd see him sharing his dinner with them.

I decided to take up feeding the kittens. So again, each night before bed, Ashley and I would come down to a. let Ashley potty and b. feed the kittens. I've discovered that even street cats can be picky - they like chicken and chapatis and mashed potatoes, but won't eat any vegetable. Bread is OK, but chapatis are better. And they'll eat the mashed potatoes, but only after everything else is gone.
One of the cats is mostly white with patches of orange and black. She reminds me a bit of Muffles. (I say she, but I don't actually know the gender of either kitten.) The other one is a rippley grey color - what I would call "normal cat color". The Muffles Look Alike is more brave - she'll come up and eat out of the bowl or even sometimes my hand. The Grey Cat will only perch under a car and pick up the scraps that I throw to her.

On Friday, when Luis was playing on the swing and Vikram was throwing the frisbee for Ashley, the Orange-Black-White cat was perched on top of the wall next to the gate. When she saw me, she was very friendly and let me get quite close to take some pictures. I'd like to think she likes me, but I'm sure she was just hoping I had food. I didn't see the other kitten, so I don't have any pics of her. These of the OBW cat will have to do for now.

No comments: