Friday, September 25, 2009

Potty Training - Substantially Complete


I've lost track of how many days it's been since Luis started using the potty - which is a good sign. I can still count the number of accidents on one hand - which is probably a better sign. (Except that one of those accidents involved thinking that Luis said "I need to poop" when he'd actually said "I pooped".)

The first time he woke up at 2a to pee in the potty, I was thrilled. And after about 10 days of being totally dry in the morning, I stopped putting a diaper on him at night. Then, I changed his sheets three mornings in a row - so we went back to a diaper at night (though to be fair to Luis, one of those sheet changes was from vomiting, not peeing). Last night, as we were putting his PJs on after bath, he protested the diaper and asked for chupi's. I was reluctant (changing the sheets on a built-in platform bed is a HUGE pain), but agreed. To help ensure success, I did take him to pee right before I went to bed. This morning, he was dry. So we are going to ditch the diapers all together and hope for the best.

Almost as exciting as his success rate at getting to the potty in time, every time, is his success rate in getting all of the pee into the potty, a high percentage of the time. Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

While I am, certainly, very excited about this milestone, I genuinely think that Luis is actually more pleased with it.

No comments: