Saturday, December 02, 2006

Thanksgiving




This year we had a mini-McDow Thanksgiving here, in Falls Church. Thomas & Lucy, Randolph & Lauren, Dodie, Alison, Maggie (6), Franklin (3) & Sol (1), and Abby, Piers & Charlotte (1) came from SC, GA, CT & NC (respectively). I made the turkey, stuffing and gravy (Alison gets most of the gravy credit - I just read from the cookbook) and each family contributed their favorite part of the meal. We had lots of GREAT food.

Originally, I invited people to come here because I didn't think I'd be up for the trip to Rock Hill. Turns out hosting Thanksgiving dinner is a lot more work than I thought it was. Despite EVERYONE pitching in, making food, cleaning up, etc. I was exhausted by the end of the weekend.

It was a lot of fun having everyone here - and it was great to not be on the road this year. While I really, really enjoyed the more intimate-ness of Thanksgiving - we had 13 people at the table in lieu of 40 or 50 people at a typical McDow Thanksgiving - I was a bit sad when I saw photos of the T-giving I missed in SC. But still, it was nice to have everyone sitting at the same table, for people to be able to participate in the conversation, and for all of the food to be served hot.

Diego also had a unique Thanksgiving - in Rome. He went to speak at an international conference. It was a very successful trip for him. His speach was well received, he got to visit with a high school friend he hadn't seen in 17 years, and he had some time to tour Rome. We missed him here, but are glad he had such a good trip.

No comments: