Friday, August 24, 2007

My Across th Street Neighbors

Joggers Park is immediately in front of our building, and to the left. It is a private park with three paths - one is brick, one is dirt, and I'm not sure what the third is. It's open from 5:30 - 9:30a and 4:30 - 9:00p (I think). An annual pass is 500/- (rupees; it's about 45/- = $1), and requires a passport size photo (apparently EVERYTHING around here requires a passport size photo, including getting a bank card). Yesterday, we dropped off my application and photo and today we'll go back to get the pass. The down side is that Ashley is not allowed there; but I'm hoping that I'll actually do some jogging there.
Speaking of jogging... I think it should more appropriately be called Walkers Park. There is some jogging that happens there, but I'd say that 95% of the people are walkers. And there are a lot of people who come. Everyday it's crowded. There is also a playground for children, a duck pond, a place for stretching or calisthenics (very popular here), and bars for pull ups, dips, etc.

I have talked in many other posts about the sea-view that we have. Here is a photo of it from our first day. With the palm trees all around, and the red clay tile roof of the private club across the street, sometimes I feel like I'm on vacation at a Caribbean resort.


This is the small grassy area/ Playground/ Frisbee park in front of our building. As an aside, that is our white vehicle parked to the left. The first day we were here, I saw two children playing on the swings - but that's all the action I've seen it get. Until now! I took Ashley down there shortly after her arrival yesterday to help her stretch her legs and relax. Both the guards (at the gate and at the building entrance) were very curious about Ashley. When she started catching the Frisbee, they watched open-mouthed. It was quite a site. The area is small for Frisbee throwing, but will do. Ashley is a bit particular about where she does her business; she requires grass. Outside of the housing compounds, grass is tough to come by in our neighborhood. I am very grateful for this patch of it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Seeing your pics is like christmas :D

Glad to see Ashley settling in! Do you know if there are any places you can take Ashley for exercise outside? I imagine that finding a place that is not full of people would be a little complicated.

Jules said...

Amazing view :)

I´m sure Ashley will be a hit in the neighborhood, as the supersmart dog who catches frisbees!