Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Postman

Last Monday, the postman brought a letter up to my apartment (as opposed to putting it in the mailbox as he normally does). I thanked him and took the letter. He just stood there. I smiled. He smiled.

And he stood there smiling. He said, "I bring letter from far away. I bring all the way to your door." I said, "Thank you." And I smiled again.

And he stood there smiling. I asked if he need anything and he smiled. " From far, I bring letter."

I asked if the postage had been properly paid (even though I knew it had - Thomas always gets the postage right). He said yes. I smiled again.

And he stood there smiling. I told him I wasn't sure what he needed (even though I had a good idea). He said, again, "From far, I bring letter. All the way to your apartment." I stopped smiling.

This went round and round a few times. Irritated, after he again told me how he brought me my letter, I said, "But isn't that your job???"

He stopped smiling. He closed the elevator door and left.

I told Pauline (the nanny) that the postman asked for a tip. She angry replied, "Don't give him any money!" Later, I asked Babu about the postman and the tip. He, too, was angry, but expanded his advice and said, "Don't give anyone any money!!" Then, Babu assured me that the postman would not be coming up to my apartment anymore - the guards would see to that. "He is supposed to leave letter in box!"

The next day, I was walking to the little grocery store around the corner. I have grown accustomed to the fact that almost everyone looks at me when I walk down the street. I just stick out a bit. But that day, I saw the postman, and he did not look at me.

Tuesday, no letters came. Wednesday, no letters came. Thursday, Friday, Saturday, no letters came. Diego teased me that I'd angered the one person in India who held the key to my happiness. Diego teased me that I'd have to change our address to his office and hope that all of the Mumbai post office hadn't heard about me.

Monday, no letters came. Tuesday, still no letters. I was getting a bit worried. Ten days is a long time. Maybe I would have to find a way to make nice with the postman.

But this morning, I had a letter from my niece, Maggie Lou (and Alison slipped a letter in as well). Then, this afternoon when I was frisbee-ing Ashley in the garden, I saw The Mailman standing outside the gate. He called me over. And gave me a Letter (from Jeanette). Two in one day. Two letters. I smiled and he smiled.

3 comments:

Luis Hernán Rincón Rincón said...

Whar a story, from far away! This may sound like giving a lesson, but, anyway, here it is. Intercultural communication takes much more than our own cultural standards, no matter how widespread one believes they are.
Overseas, you show your gratitude by giving something that is more than one big smile or money as a tip. If it is not accepted, you are safe. If it accepted, you have showed your understanding and have not opened the door for expecting a tip each time from now on, or to any kind of imaginary or real revenge.

Jules said...

10 days with no letters? Poor thing...

Dode said...

I guess Diego does not have to worry about the postman ringing twice...